Flatiron Wins $125 Million Contract for Wellsburg Bridge in West Virginia
Broomfield, Colorado (September 12, 2016) – Flatiron Construction Corp. (FLATIRON), one of the largest infrastructure contractors in North America, was named the Selected Proposer by the West Virginia Department of Transportation Division of Highways (DOH) to design and construct the $125 million, new Wellsburg Bridge that will cross the Ohio River to connect Wellsburg, West Virginia to Brilliant, Ohio.
The Wellsburg Bridge is West Virginia’s first alternative delivery project, a public-private partnership, and will also be FLATIRON’s first project in the State of West Virginia. FLATIRON is the prime contractor for the project and supported by Triton Construction, Inc. Design is led by RS&H, Inc. with support from TRC Engineers, Inc. and COWI North America.
The project includes the following major projects:
- A new main span crossing the Ohio River approximately one miles south of Wellsburg, West Virginia that will include a new connection to West Virginia Route 2 and to Third Street in Brilliant, Ohio.
- A shared-use path on the new main span that directly ties into the Brooke Pioneer Trail.
- Realignment and reconstruction of a portion of West Virginia Route 2, located in an area with historically problematic slope stability and rock fall, to provide a safer route for the motoring public and lower long-term maintenance costs to the DOH by making West Virginia Route 2 less susceptible to rock fall.
- One additional bridge traversing Ohio State Route 7 which will accommodate any future interchange requirements.
- Additional scope of work includes survey, inspection, utility relocation, and railroad coordination.
The FLATIRON team was selected from among three shortlisted teams at the price opening held on July 26, 2016. Teams were evaluated on price of design and construction of the project.
Design is anticipated to begin in October 2016 with construction starting in 2018. The new Wellsburg Bridge is projected to be complete in early 2021.
About FLATIRON Construction Corp.
Flatiron is the trusted provider of innovative solutions to infrastructure challenges across the U.S. and Canada. For public and private clients, Flatiron builds highways, bridges, airports, rail transit, dams, water facilities and underground projects. For more on how Flatiron is transforming infrastructure, visit flatironcorp.com. Flatiron is a subsidiary of HOCHTIEF, an engineering-led global infrastructure group.